Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The end of day one

It took me an hour to drive over a road beside loch Arkaig that twisted & turned, rose & fell for 13 miles. The drizzle was still coming down and I knew the rain had been lashing in the middle of the day on Knoydart. The estimated rendez-vous for the Gurkha Highlanderswas 7pm, but I reckoned they would be at least another 45 minutes. Even so, I intended to be at the RV for 6:30 just in case.
Except I couldn’t get there. There was a locked gate at the end of the loch. I turned the minibus, donned waterproof leggings, anorak and wellies, and set off along the path on the other side of the gate. I was worried they would get to the RV and not realise I hadn’t been able to get to the them.
After a mile or so I got to where we had agreed - except the ruined old barracks from 1745 weren’t there. I checked my map again and saw there was another ruin about half a mile further on - they might easily stop there. So I walked on. After hanging about for a bit I walked back to RV1 - then back to RV2.
About 7:30 I decided I needed a pee, and made the mistake of trying. The Avon “ skin so soft” was doing its anti-midge job really well on face and hands - but there was none where it counts, and within a moment or two I had an appendage more black than pink. I finished off as quickly as I could then did my best to get rid of the pests.
I walked backwards and forwards between the two RVs for another 45 mins and then - walking back from 2 to 1 I spotted them just coming off the hill. Whoops of delight all round.
We quick marched to the bus and they grabbed chocolate bars and more water.
They had done well. At one point they came to a raging torrent - not on the map. They cast up and down for a bit, and then climbed a small hillock to get an overall look. They could just make out the track on the other side of the river. The weather had been so bad that a tin y rivulet had become a torrent. With great difficulty they crossed and kept going. The delay had cost them the extra half hour to the RV. As we drove back along the windy road, I asked if anyone was bothered by the mogtion.
“ No sahib,” said the Captain.” No lady-boys here!” Hoots of laughter all round.
Of course, we were too late back to get food. But the Spean Bridge Hotel very kindly provided fish and chips which were excellent. The Gurkhas of course love chillies, so two bowls of red and green whole chillies and a bowl of jallapinos were demolished too. I can tell you chips with jallapinos is an acquired taste.
We got back to Roy Bridge about 11pm - only to discover neither I nor the walk leader had paid the bill. We called the Spean Bridge.
“ That’s OK dear,” said the owner,” Consider it my contribution.”
The Spean Brdige Hotel also has the Commando Museum. It would appear that some despicable person is going round the area, rattling a can, saying that items have been stolen from the Museum, and would you contribute to help restock it? I know if we catch him he won’t be doing it for a long time.
Th Gurkhas will be walking past Achnagarry house today. We have the Sunday Times coming to interview them and take a photo or two.
And the Colonel has finally got a piper for tomorrow at the wreath laying.
22 miles down,about 170 to go.

1 comment:

Whispering Walls said...

Bravo - so much for the glorious 12th