Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Uncle Willie died

Yes, he finally did. Aged 93, he is the last of my father's siblings to go.
They have all done pretty well. The eldest, Jackie, died in a car crash when in his twenties, but all the others, with two notable exceptions, managed 85 plus, and 90 plus for 3 of them.
There were 9 originally, all born before 1913, with three before 1900.
None of them was ever teatotal, or a non smoker. The two that died early ( still 60ish) was entirely down to the excessive use of alcohol and cigarettes. One in particular had a fondness for meths when she couldn't get anything else.
They were an extremely close family, who hardly saw the need for other people ( after all including the wives and children we made up a huge number. They were huge fun ( Scottish and alcohol is a powerful mixture) and I miss them all.
But ( apart from my own father) especially Uncle Willie. He was a divorcee and then remarried, but in my youngest days he was always around. He had an impish sense of humour and a magical way with constructing things with his hands. When my parents were abroad, and I was in scholl, it was always Uncle Willie who took me out.
There are two things that stick in my memory. Whenever any kind person would give me a sixpence ( 2.5p in today's money) Uncle Willie was always there to suggest I give it to him and he would give me 3%. I wish I had. I unfortunately spent them on sweets or caps for my toy pistol.
The other is that one day he bought two balsa kits for model aeroplanes, the one's with the rubber bands inside.
Uncle Willie made the most beautiful thing, correct to the last drop of glue and dope to tighten the paper covering. Truly a thing of inordinate precision and correctness.
I misread the plans and built it with double everything, so it weighed twice as much, looked it, and had the grace of a 20 storey office block.
He and I went to the local hill and released our aircraft simultaneously. His performed the most exquisite flight for about 10 feet then then did a Stuka dive into the ground. Both wings broke off, and the front moved towards the tail by about 3 inches.
Mine on the other hand flew on - and on - and on for about a quarter of a mile and then, when the rubber band gave up, glided perfectly to earth in an immitation of a real aircraft.
We stood at the top of the hill looking down at his wreckage.
" Let that be a lesson to you"
" What?"
" Don't read the instructions first."

No comments: