Thursday, July 31, 2008

I'm humbled

I've spent most of today opening envelopes and totting up cheques that have been flooding in the this years Gurkha Highlander.
I am always astonished at the affection and long-term links that the UK has with Nepal and the Gurkhas.
Many people include little stories with their cheques. Some people just send cash anonymously. I like to think it gets through because it's being sent to the Gurkhas. Little old ladies send in cheques for odd amounts. As one note said " I'm sorry the cheque is only for £8.50. Its all I've got in my account."
There are waves of disgust at this government's treatment of the Gurkhas, and equally strong waves of admiration and dare I say it love for the " bravest of the brave".
I think two of the notes areworthy of mention, which sum them all up. The first is from a lady living in central Scotland. " A small token of my gratitude to the gallant men I met in Stirling during the 1940s. They saved my sanity by "adopting " me when I thought I could not go on."
And another from a lady in Liverpool.
" I'm sending this because the only reason I'm here is because a Gurkha gave his life for my father. When I was growing up, Dad would never talk about the war. Sometimes a war film would come on the TV. He would switch it off, turn to me and shake his finger, saying, remember that he wouldn't he there if it hadn't been for the Gurkhas.
There is no real way to say thank you to them."
Too true.

No comments: