Thursday, November 02, 2006

Into the sear, the yellow leaf....

Those of you with a theatrical bent ( no aspersions cast) will know this comes from King Lear. In case you don't know he has three daughters like me - or vice versa.
Anyway, I have been feeling somewhat like Lear the last couple of days, sleeping almost not at all and enjoying, if that is the right word, 2am and 3am cups of tea.
Last night was no exception, but the quiet that surrounds that time of night is extremely pleasant.
I was able to reflect on the continuing spiral dowawards of our society, highlighted today by the reports on 4 million CCTV cameras watching us. I didn't vote for it, did you?
I certainly didn't vote for policemen to arrest people and break their doors down, and then have the DPP, on looking at the evidence, say it is a load of tosh. This has been happening more and more recently, and is of course related to the war on terror.
In case you missed it, one of NuLabour's Gurus has said " Scare the people and they will put up with anything." Ok, that's a paraphrase, but you get my meaning. So the headlines scream about terror plots averted, stringent new measures for taking lipsalve on aircraft ( oh, that's being relaxed this week. I can take it in a plastic bag. That'll contain the blast) - huge inconvenience and disruption to people and companies. And then.. nothing. But that of course is SOOO much this Government. I believe it was Teddy Roosevelt who said " speak softly and carry a big stick". Our present Masters do the exact opposite, to the detriment of both ourselves as individuals and our society as a whole.
What was the best period of government this country ever had? I'm not sure, but it would have to be one where it interfered as little as possible, or did something genuinely good for the people as a whole. Perhaps Lloyd George's Edwardian era Governments. Let me know.

1 comment:

kinglear said...

Precisely - but not necessarily the best