Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Living Saints

We gave dinner last night to the two people I know most akin to living saints. They live mostly in Africa and teach, translate the Bible, help their community, and pray.
They have brought up three children. They raise all their own funds. The say Grace before meals. When they are unsure about something, they pray for guidance.
With all this, they don't ram it down anyone's throat.
I first met them when Mr.Saint was looking for a flat about 30 years ago. He had no money, but, when he told me the Lord would provide, I gave it to him anyway. And the Lord - or somebody - did, and He has continued in the same vein.
Their ambition is entirely to help their friends and neighbours. They are anything but unworldly, yet at the same time remain simple and straightforward. I can't actually imagine them ever being tempted by anything that might tempt you or me.Not even pride.
If more people were like them the world might arguably not have advanced much, but it would certainly not be as stressed.

No comments: