Friday, October 24, 2008

Getting worse?

With the £ crashing, the FTSE crashing, the Banks sitting on their hands and the office having run out of tea bags, things are pretty bleak.
But I remain convinced now is a time to buy.
For a start, if the £ is well down, that will make exporters very happy. Because of oil's precipitous fall, inflation overall, will, I suspect, be muted, and I would be willing to bet we see interest rates of 3% or lower from the BofE within 6-8 months. All these should produce higher profits ( or lower losses) as time goes on. Quite a few seriously good businesses are now sitting on PEs of less than 4 - and yielding 11% plus. Of course they will retrench, but two in particular I like have never been on less than a PE of 10 and a yield of 3% - which probably means they are about to go bust if I like them
The other point is it's much easier to buy as a share drops than when it is going up.
We have a long way to go, and if you feel you would like to wait feel free.
But I maintain my view that 3800 on the FTSE, give or take a few points, will be it.
My left palm has been seriously itchy for a few days......
PS
Not everyone thinks left hand itchy is money coming in. My Granny always said it was and that's good enough for me.

1 comment:

Whispering Walls said...

The problem is the avalanche of forced sellers.