Saturday, July 21, 2007

Jockshire

I came across http://www.jockshire.com/ - I've tried to put a link it, but as the resident non-tecky I can't get it to work. I'll wait for someone to turn up and do it for me.
Anyway, outrageously, it refers to where I live as " England's northernmost county"
We're not! We're a country on our own with some autonomy.The interesting thing is that despite the promulgator of this site's apparent disdain, by calling us this, he implies there is and should be a UNITED KINGDOM.
But the author does have a point when he mentions the West Lothian question. I think he intends that the Loth bit ( read LOATHE) makes his point. Unfortunate, too, that for every crossword compiler ever born, the clue containing the word "Scot" always ends up being IAN - slightly esoteric I know, but true none the less ( loathe a Scot - geddit?).
Certainly, per head of population, we provide more forces personnel than any other part of the UK. And more Labour voters, heart attacks and pious cant. We do defeat much better than the English, something I have always found endearing. Bill Shankly's " Football is more important than life or death" sums us up almost perfectly.
In a recent survey ( reinforced by the Holyrood Election results) more of us Jocks wanted to separate from England. Many more English want rid of us. If we are to be treated as just another English County ( something that Jack McConnel effectively did, which lost him the election) then maybe we should declare UDI. Alex Salmond and his team are presently making all political parties look cack-handed and out of touch.
The one thing we lack in our homeland is irony. Enthusiasm, pride,aggression, self-belief and self-doubt in equal measure, and passion we have in spades, but not irony.
I was reminded of this yesterday when, parked and waiting for a friend, I was beside a Big Issue seller. He did a brilliant marketing job, and within a few minutes had clearly collected about £10 or so. Without a moment's hesitation he nipped into the bookies next door to place a bet. I saw him do this about four times.
Think about that next time a ( non) homeless person urges you to buy a load of drivel.

P.S. I particularly like the picture at the top of Jockshire - a wet window. Whilst I would normally agree, we have, mercifully, not been flood out, unlike SCOTLAND'S SOUTHERNMOST COUNTIES.

No comments: