Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Manzilla Foundation

I received a txt msge yesterday afternoon."Come to the opening of the exhibition at 7pm Artentrepreneur".Artie is the son of friends of ours, who has managed to create an impressive arts empire in an old whisky bond. By the way, www.whisky.com is presently in an auction of domain names, and is sitting at $200,000 if you want to make a bid.
Anyway, Mrs. Lear and I have a friend staying, so we thought it a good idea to take him along to see what Le Tout Glasgow has to offer.
The art itself was not overly wonderful, apart from a circle made from straight vertical lines ( weird but true) which I thought would look good in the corridor of a building we are doing up.
However, the performance art group - The Manzilla Foundation - were rather fun. Two men and a girl - one leading a Saluki - extolled the joys of artists rising like a Phoenix from the ashes, and handed out envelopes.
When I read the contents, I immediately thought it was a brilliant idea. It plainly stated that the MF would take away any art that the owner wished destroyed, certify it had been burned, and produce a piece of paper to that effect for presentation.I thought what a brilliant way of raising money for the Artentrepreneur! I just bet there are many who would like to destroy a lot of the work he sells.
As one of the paintings in the show I particularly disliked, I decided I would buy it and present it for destruction.
Fortunately, I decided to check to cost of the actual destruction process before proceeding.
The MF person I asked was horrified. I had completely misunderstood the whole thing. The idea was that an Artist might be having eg writing block or creative block, and it might be his/her previous work was holding her/him back. The MF only undertook to destroy an Artist's own work, and at that Artist's request.
Can't help thinking Mr.Artie has missed a trick.

No comments: