Thursday, October 19, 2006

Back from the smoke

Well here I am back from London, and I must say, I did enjoy myself. Apart from the taxi fares ( total of nearly £50) an exceedingly good meal for 3 was £69 including tip, and my overnight stay, including an exceptionally good breakfast and a most comfy bed, was just £75. But it does take a long time to get anywhere. I can well believe cross town traffic actually moves slower now than it did in the worst period for horse drawn traffic, around 1900, when it was estimated at 11 MPH.
The business reasons for being down were boring, but I had a MOST interesting meeting with the Mihai Eminescu Trust. They are the people who are saving the Saxon Villages of Transylvania from the ravages of the modern day. Apart from someone wanting to build a Dracula Themepark ( where do they get these people?), the villages and the area have an extraordinary amount to offer. The houses and villages are stunningly attractive, and ideal for those who have had enough of the present " exceptional and outstanding monolithic chunk of concrete for only £299,999". Sell France, buy Romania!

No comments: