Saturday, August 11, 2007

Strange juxtapositions

I have long held that where two objects appear together in the wrong context, there is something interesting going on.
For example, a golf ball found on a golf course, or even on a lawn, would hardly excite comment, but the same golf ball landing on your plate as you were served pasta could potentially have an interesting story behind it.
I am absolutely sure that inquisitiveness keeps us alive and mentally active, and both interested and interesting.
So imagine my quickened interest whilst walking the dog in the rain this morning to discover a very fine green marble egg on the grass verge.
Where did it come from? I naturally purloined it ( I have a collection of odd bits of washers, nuts, rings etc that I have picked up over the years and threaded through a wire coat hangar. I'm convinced it's the winner of the next Turner prize) and looked about for any potential droppers.
There being none, I can only assume it was dropped there by a bird. I was told many years ago, by an old Italian, that he had had a bowl of such eggs They were in all different colours, but the green ones kept disappearing.
He finally lay in wait to see how they were being stolen - to discover a large magpie flying in through the open window and removing said green egg from it's neighbours. He was so astonished that he did nothing, and thereafter, if he wanted to show off, he would hide with a friend after putting out a green egg. Sure enough, after about ten minutes, the magpie would appear.
Why the green egg? I always thought they liked sparkly things, but green?
So my guess is that over the last few days, which have been warmer up here, somebody had their window open and a magpie stole the egg, then dropped it when it found that it was of the non-edible variety.
Or somebody was having a fight and thew it at their partner with such force it landed on the grass in the park.
Either way, it's more interesting than a golf ball on a golf course.

1 comment:

Whispering Walls said...

How interesting...maybe you should put it under a green hen and see if it hatches