Saturday, February 03, 2007

Old England

You may wonder what I am doing blogging on a Saturday, but I am waiting for someone to turn up. I am in London at the Destinations Travel Show today, and I am here for free.
What happened was that as I walked into the main concourse of Earl's Court, a diminutive lady and even more diminutive gentleman approached me.
"Are you going to pay to get into the show?" asked the lady. When I said yes, she promptly gave me a free entry pass. Needless to say I thanked her and we got chatting. Her husband had worked all his life as a shop floor worker somewhere around London. They had raised two children, one now a lawyer the other a nurse. " Made sure they knew what was what and how to mind their Ps and Qs, and they worked hard at University - very proud of them, me and Derek".
They had bought their council house as soon as they were allowed to. " We had the cash, you know, my Derek was always a saver" - Nod from Derek. What were they looking for at the show? " Well, it's mostly a day out," says Daisy ( we were by now on first name terms) " But we used to go to Southend, and I miss it - only been to Spain otherwise."
I asked them if they thought they might be going overseas this year. " Quite fancied a cruise," said Derek. They asked me what I was doing,and I explained I was checking out the show for a possible stand next year. " OOh, you want to do that! Lots of rich people here every year we've been. Ain't that right Derek?" Nod. By now we were inside the show, and I fancied a coffee, so I asked them if they would like one.
"Oh no thank you, dear, FAR too expensive in 'ere. Have one out of my flask" produced out of a bag a bit like Mary Poppins's.
So there I stood, head and shoulders above Daisy and Derek physically, drinking their coffee, and feeling utterly utterly beneath them.
I don't care what politicians say or do, I just want them to remember that they are put there by people like Daisy and Derek.

No comments: