Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Petula Clark

I'm due to see Ms. Clark at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall tonight. I have no idea how old she is, but when I was a very small boy I think she was 16 or 17, so that would make her 70 now.
The last time she was in the Lear vicinity was 20 years ago when she was Maria in the Sound of Music. I cannot tell you how often the video with Julie Andrews has been watched but it is definitely more than 100, and the singalong, and the play ( going again in May).
Anyway, she is doing a UK tour as part of what I assume is a sort of world tour. By the time we see her tonight, she will have already done Inverness and Aberdeen on the previous two nights.
Mr & Mrs Radio Executive are taking us ( they took us to Tony Hatch a while ago and various other concerts like the Monkees 30th. anniversary tour), so you can see what a sad bunch we are. One of the other things you don't know about me is that I was at the Monkees first gig ever in the UK at Wembley.
Then on Saturday we are going to see Tutti Fruitti, by which time Petula will have done four more concerts. Not bad for a 70 year old.
So my question today is really - what is the greatest gig you were ever at? It can be classical , opera, or rapper, but it has to be the one you enjoyed the most.
Mine? Probably Sacha Distel about 25 years ago. He held the audience in his palm, and the whole place loved him.

4 comments:

Whispering Walls said...

It's a toss up between Elvis Costello at St.John's College, Oxford May Ball and Carmen in the moonlight at Verona

kinglear said...

ww - ah Verona. Never felt the same about it since two men sitting beside me had mutual fellatio during Traviata.

Whispering Walls said...

How gross!

kinglear said...

ww - it put me off opera for a bit and I now refuse to sit next to two men